Bristol & District Anti Cuts Alliance will be joining council staff, service users and community groups in a Lobby Of Cabinet Meeting - Thursday 24th January where the £35million cuts to the city council budget will be discussed. Meet outside the Council House from 5pm. Cabinet meeting starts at 6pm. Bring banners, placards & friends. .
The full details of the proposed cuts are on the BADACA website here. These include:
* access to Children Centres drastically reduced with the loss of 55 jobs
* funding of community transport to be slashed
* the new East Bristol swimming pool to be scrapped
* the programme of closure of care homes and day centres for the elderly and vulnerable endorsed
* In the words of the Evening Post, it is planned to 'squeeze better value out of commercial contracts for home care provision'. The council's own service was privatised resulting in a lowering of standards. It is now likely to deteriorate further.
* And the Green Party's reward for giving their support to these cuts is - the scrapping of Hartcliffe's proposed new recycling centre!
And of course Council Tax will be increased by 2% at exactly the time when many people, in and out of work, will find their benefits cut.
If you want more information about any of the above, email email@example.com