BADACA: Fightback Against Ferguson's Cuts
imported blog post
Tuesday January 15, 2013 21:37 by Bristol Socialists
A rare additional email from BADACA because we need your help to build the fightback against Ferguson's Cuts - £35 million of cuts including up to 100 compulsory redundancies.
We want you to join in:
Lobby Of Cabinet Meeting - Thursday 24th January. Meet outside the Council House from 5pm. Cabinet meeting starts at 6pm. Bring banners, placards & friends. Facebook here.
Stalls – we plan to run street stalls in as many parts of city as possible. If you can help with this please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and let us know where and when you could help.
We have only a few weeks to build a fightback against these cuts. Please do help if you can. Please pass this information on to anyone else you know who may be interested.
The full details of the proposed cuts are on the BADACA website here. These include:
- access to Children Centres drastically reduced with the loss of 55 jobs
- funding of community transport to be slashed
- the new East Bristol swimming pool to be scrapped
- the programme of closure of care homes and day centres for the elderly and vulnerable endorsed
- In the words of the Evening Post, it is planned to 'squeeze better value out of commercial contracts for home care provision'. The council's own service was privatised resulting in a lowering of standards. It is now likely to deteriorate further.
- And the Green Party's reward for giving their support to these cuts is – the scrapping of Hartcliffe’s proposed new recycling centre!
And of course Council Tax will be increased by 2% at exactly the time when many people, in and out of work, will find their benefits cut.
If you want more information about any of the above, email email@example.com