Be entertained, get informed and support Bristol Indymedia - all in a single night!
On the first Monday of each month sees an event open to all at the Cube Cinema, Stokes Croft. Events start at 8pm and costs £3/4 for entry (but nobody is turned away).
Dates for 2008
The Indymedia film nights are held on the first Monday of each month. The upcoming film nights for 2009 are as follows:
- June 1st: The Enemy Within - The Miners Strike 1984-5 - Join us and Bristol Radical History Group for an informed and provocative night looking back at the 1984-5 strike. This struggle pitched the National Union of Miners against Thatcherism in a physical and ideological battle that still reverberates though the land today. It's a compelling story of solidarity, media bias, divided communities, MI5, police brutality and who should shape the future direction of the United Kingdom – told by the people who lived it.
- June 15th: The Enemy Without - Coal, Class & Climate. The last place you might expect to the find the leader of the National Union of Miners, Arthur Scargill, is at an eco-protest camp where people were trying to keep the coal firmly in the ground. Yet at last year's climate camp, that's exactly what happened... Looking at the apparently contradictory issues of coal and climate, we delve deeper into the subject to search for answers to the questions of energy, community and class and what they meant during the 1984/5 strike and what they mean today and tomorrow.
- July 6th: Hacktivism – During the recent Burma uprising, people signed up to a Facebook campaign group went from 1 member to 400,000 in just 20 days: Technology can connect us as never before. So how can we use it to make real social change? How can we create open and shared technology rather than simply empower the same global corporations as before? Join people from Hacklab as they share films, ideas and technologies that build on co-operation rather than competition. Lots of hand-on advice with technology and a great event for new ideas.
- August – No event - on our summer break!
- September 7th: TBC – Watch this space!
You can see loads of films of speakers at our events on our blip.tv channel: http://bristolindymedia.blip.tv/
All Bristol Indymedia film nights are held at the Cube Cinema which is located at
Dove Street South, Bristol, BS2 8JB. To get there, find Kings Square along Jamaica St. or Dighton St. Go to the top of Kings Square and turn left on to Dove Street. On your left you will see a car park in front of the cube cinema's main entrance.
Map link: http://microplex.cubecinema.com/cubewebsite/directions.html
Cost & Money
The cost of most of the Indymedia film nights is £3 full price and £2 concession but no one will be turned down for lack of funds. Sometimes (due to film hire costs or other related costs) we charge £4 full price and £3 concessions. The money made from the nights goes to Bristol Indymedia to pay the projects ongoing costs. Sometimes some or all of the money made will go to a cause related to the subject of the film night. This is indicated on the publicity for the night and on our accounts wiki page.
We welcome your help!
Each event is programmed, organised, promoted and run by a group of Bristol Indymedia volunteers. We also offer the film night as a platform for campaign groups to tell their story, much in the same way the main site is a platform for you to tell your story. Films that are screened range from locally produced documentaries to big budget feature films and cover a wide range of social topics from the environment to globalisation. A list of our previous film nights, suggested films and more information about how we run film nights can be found by clicking on this link to our film night wiki page:
We are always happy to have suggestions of films/topic to cover. Members of the Bristol Indymedia film night are also always looking for additional help promoting and running the film night. If you are interested in helping to run this volunteer project there are a lots of roles from helping to program the nights to promotion, technical, editorial, creative and administering roles. See the Getting Involved in Bristol Indymedia page for more information.
If you want to know more, contact the film night people via imc-bristol-filmnights (at) lists.indymedia.org or the contact page.
Image: a sample film night flyer 'Vulture Funds' from August 2007: